Thursday, March 10, 2011

crossing borders




Crossing Borders was a trip that lasted 23 days, begun in Hanoi and ended in Chang Mai; crossing borders from Vietnam into Laos, and from Laos into Thailand.
As I embarked on this journey I began to realise how many borders there really are from that to village to village, from different tribes of clans of people, to those borders we create ourselves, for example a sheet between mattresses on the floor creating a separation, a ‘hey this is my space.’ Borders between farmers fields, borders of electricity wires looking like they have carved up the sky, marks left on boards from posters creating its own empire. It made me think of how we separate our daily lives, from that of different rooms or areas in our living spaces, to the journeys made of the food we eat, or that to which we cage.
People cross borders every day from one street to another, from one village to another, from one country to another, some legal crossings some not. It made me think about how our entire world is carved up from beginnings until now, how it has changed and what dramatic effects it has had.
I am so lucky, me; the traveller, able to cross borders and push boundaries, for so many this is not a possibility.
Therefore ‘crossing borders’ is my homage to this journey, to all that I witnessed and all those that I met.

Images made in Vietnam and Laos, Crossing Borders is available as a limited edition box set consisting of 15 prints.

No comments:

Post a Comment